Sunday, September 24, 2006

Anna Lauyse Markheim, My Beloved Mom


Many of you know by now that my mother, Anna, passed away about a week and a half ago. She died of apparent natural causes in her home in York, Maine. She was 54 years old, and would have turned 55 the day after Christmas.

I have never known such pain as I do now. Mom was not only a brilliant star in my night sky, but cast a beautiful, loving glow to everyone who knew her. My brother Ryan and I were raised with bountiful, unconditional love in our lives because of her. And while in her later years she struggled with hardship, doubt, and decreasing health, her love for us and our new families was boundless and uplifting. She relished her role as Nana to Malcolm and Chloe. Our friends also came to adore Anna, and were welcomed into our family regardless of background or means.

She radiated a passion for life I have never seen in another person. Born Anna Lauyse ("law-eese") Moran in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Mom and her brother Vernon were raised by their mother Bobbie, who held three jobs and succeeded in operating a well-known radio station in New Orleans. When Mom met my father Sandy, she was 15 years old. She told him she was 18. They separated shortly after I was born, and Anna remarried a few years later to Chaim Markheim. Ryan joined the family in 1978. Over the years, Mom wrapped Ryan and me in layers of love, curiosity and compassion. As testiment to that, though she divorced Chaim, and our little family moved to different corners, the bond between my brother and me has been unwavering for nearly 30 years, and was only strengthened by her recent passing.

She will be remembered for her soothing smile, her grace, her irresistable Southern charm, her unequaled cooking, her impeccable taste, her sharp wit, her striking beauty and the selfless, unending love she shared with so many people. She positively touched the lives of countless souls fortunate enough to have known her.

Her wishes never included a funeral or other formal remembrance. Nor did she wish to be buried. On Friday, September 22nd - Ryan's 28th birthday - he and I quietly planted her ashes with a bed of perennial bulbs along a secluded bank overlooking the picturesque York River and harbor. The weather was breathtaking, and the sunrays felt like the warmth of a mother proud of her boys. Beside the flower bed is a painted sign quoting The Garden by Thomas Campion:

"There is a garden in her face,
Where roses and white lilies grow;
A heavenly paradise is that place,
Wherein all pleasant fruits do flow."
I love you with all my heart, Mom. I miss you. I will always miss you. And Malcolm and Chloe will always be reminded of Nana, who left us all too soon. Maybe I'll see you again someday.
Always,
-Your Peanut.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL tribute to Anna. It brought tears to our eye's.

We Love You
Barbara & Joe

Aunt Brendia said...

Anna was 7 mos.3 days younger than me. Having known her since we were both 15/16 yrs. old, via my brother, Sandy.
We both married the same year,1969; we both lived in southern Calif. I left shortly before she & Sandy separated in 1974. We lost touch through the years, but my memories of 2 young friends and sister-in-laws is still very real to me. We spent alot of time together during those 5 years; a friendship we had started while she was still in New Orleans & I was in Irving, both in high school. Brandon, your tribute was lovely. Anna was a lot of fun; always full of an adventuresome spirit. As was the case with her mother, she was far too young, & was,no doubt, still planning to be here alot longer. My memories of her will always be with me, as well as my love.

Anonymous said...

Brandon,

I don't know if you remember me, it has been about 20 years or so since I last saw your mother. My name is Pam Abbadessa. I knew your Mom since we were both 18 and working together at the telephone company. As a matter of fact you were my ring bearer at my wedding
in 1977. Your Mom and I were really close for many years, somehow we just drifted apart. I even came and visited you guys when you lived in Bryn Mar, PA... I am not an internet person - but for several months I kept thinking I should get on my friends computer and try to look Anna up. I only wish I would have done this earlier. I was just in shock to find out what happened, I just can't stop thinking about it. She really was, as you said, such a wonderful person in every way. I tried to call Sandy but the phone # I had for him isn't working - I didn't really think it would - it too was about 20 years old. I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Pam Abbadessa